Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Warts and All


In a few days, I'll be completely used to it, but for now, the difference in light quality due to the recent time change is very apparent to me. There is enough light to take photographs into the early evening hours, and I like that. Another thing that I am in the process of getting used to is the digital noise apparent in dusky photographs, especially those made with older cameras with smaller sensors. I've learned to embrace the grain and other imperfections in film photographs because I know that if I want perfect fidelity I can just reach for my fancy digital camera and boom, it is done. In a similar vein, I have been revisiting the look of images made with older digital cameras. The digital noise in those files doesn't bother me so much any more; in fact, I'm inclined to let it remain visible or even enhance it a little. Once we are confident of our ability to achieve a certain level of technical perfection, does that free us up to explore the aesthetic properties of older, imperfect technology? 

Tasting notes: Olympus E-500 digital camera (CCD sensor), Olympus 35 mm f/3.5 macro lens, ISO 200.