Thursday, March 17, 2022

Singing the Film Shooting Hipster Blues


Sometimes experiments flop, ideas don't pan out, and you come home with nuttin', feeling kinda like a dummy. Yesterday was such a day for me. Earlier in the week, I had had the seemingly righteous idea of attaching my Leica R-21 mm f/3.4 to a Leica MD-2 body using an adapter and then going out to 'shoot from the gut'. You see, I don't own a viewfinder with the field of view of a 21mm lens -- they are simply too damned expensive. So, even with my belly button in cosmic as well as geometric alignment with the sun, I struggled, managing to capture the very top of my wife's head in this shot (lower right). Sigh.

Anyway, doing a post mortem on the whole experience, I also learned that the lens, designed in the mid 1960s, is not exactly a stellar performer by today's standards. To boot, it doesn't really add any je ne sais quoi to the image either.

But, the rig *looked* phenomenal, I mean come on, and that's what really matters, right (adjusts beret)?

Tasting notes: Leica MD-2, Leica R 21 mm f/3.4, HP5+, exposure by Sunny 16, developed in HC-110 B. Image of camera rig using Canon 5D classic, 135 mm f/2, ISO 1600.