Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Some Much Needed Photo Therapy


There was a profound need for photographic therapy yesterday. You see, I had to take my vehicle in for service, as the rearview mirror had become detached. Now, up until a few years ago, reattaching the rearview mirror was a simple DIY project, requiring only a little superglue and a bit of patience. These days, it has become major surgery for vehicles like my BMW X1. I learned that in order to reattach my mirror, I would have to replace the entire windshield, setting me back a total of $1300. Outrageous. So, I decided to just deal with the mirror in my own way, at home, later. In the meanwhile, I took a few hours of mental health time, bought some lunch at my local Whole Foods Market ($9.99 per pound), and enjoyed it in a nearby park. For dessert, a 90 minute photowalk. I was armed with two instruments, one digital and one film. Both delivered for me, and I felt much better about the day when I returned. So glad I took time: I reminded myself that I'm in it for the long haul.

[Post script: mirror fixed in 30 min. Not even a very sophisticated attempt to upsell. Grr.]

Tasting notes: Canon M6ii, 22mm f/2 lens, black and white interpretation in Ps.