Sunday, March 13, 2022

Menu Diving to Discover Unuseless Camera Features


Most of the time, I reach for a camera that just gets out of my way and lets me take photographs already. Luckily, I've got a few that do that pretty well, including many of my film cameras. On the other hand, there are days when I don't really mind getting lost in the technology, and I dive into the menus with reckless abandon. On those kinds of days, one of the features I like to experiment with most is Multiple Exposures. Quite a few cameras don't bother implementing this capability anymore it seems, while others allow you to do some crazy stuff indeed. My Pentax KP, for example, allows for up to 999 exposures to be combined in-camera. I did try that once, but more often than not, a few dozen exposures is more than enough for some good fun to be had. And some interesting images to be made. The abstract image above was made using the Pentax KP while I was watching a television program about color theory, and is comprised of three exposures combined by the KP's chip. I was using the very old and inexpensive manual focus Pentax 150 mm f/3.5 lens. It is a compact little optic with more than 'good enough' image quality and would qualify as under appreciated, I think. 

Tasting notes: Pentax KP digital camera, Pentax 150 mm f/3.5 lens.