Friday, March 18, 2022

Of Provenance and Time Travel


The weather was perfect when I went out to photograph the first of the dogwoods in bloom. On this occasion I was using the Nikkormat FS along with the period correct Nikon 50 mm f/2 lens. It is a fine combination to walk around with and practice your metering-by-eye skills. The camera is in like new condition and was very inexpensive to acquire owing to the fact that one of its previous owners had chosen to engrave their Social Security Number on the bottom plate. Hard to believe that was considered good practice back in the previous century. I suppose I could do a little research to determine something about the provenance of my old Nikkormat, but honestly, I am not keen to know more about a person who would mark up their camera like that! I tend to prefer imaginary time travel to historical research in the case of my old cameras anyway. I think what got me interested in collecting old cameras in the first place is imagining what the old masters had to go through to get images. So, as I walked through the neighborhood, I imagined myself taking photographs on an early mid-century modern Spring morning. This old dogwood was likely flourishing back then as it is now.

Good light to you this weekend.

Tasting notes: Nikkormat FS, Nikkor-H 50 mm f/2, HP5+, Sunny 16, HC110 B.