Friday, August 20, 2021

The horse galloping down Broadway


There is a feral kitten just outside my studio door right now yowling like crazy, and making it hard to concentrate. I've put a small bowl of milk out, hoping it decides to give it a try. Who knows, perhaps we can build trust and there will be a new studio cat around here. Today, I wanted to pair the quotidian shot above, which has grown on me over time, with thoughts about photos not taken or just plain missed over the years. Like the time I was walking down Broadway late one New Year's Eve in New York City, and I heard the loud sounds of a horse galloping. Not at all what I expected that evening. Apparently one of the Central Park carriage horses escaped and was running like hell, both scared out of its mind and tasting freedom for the first time in a long while. I really wish I could have grabbed a photograph of that. Or, maybe it works better as a simple memory?

Here's to a weekend of good light and photo opportunities not missed!