Thursday, August 19, 2021

Is a print the end point of the photographic process?


With this image, I had a difficult time settling on the overall tonality. In the end, or rather, for the time being, I decided that I preferred the lower key version presented here. I think the main reason is the increased contrast between the highlights on tree trunks and the dark horizontal mass in the background I was able to achieve.  I am happy enough with the image that I will spend some more time with it and ultimately make a physical print, which is always an arduous (and sometimes $$$) process for me. I might need to do a little more adjusting for a physical print, or take a different approach entirely. For me, a tangible object of some kind is always the end point of my art, in spite of the fact most of my work is only ever experienced in the digital domain.