Friday, August 27, 2021

Broadway and Bleecker - photographic imprints


It can be fun to go through your old photos to get an idea of what caught your more youthful eye back in the day. One of the things that struck me about New York City the first time I visited was the urban canyons that could be found by wandering around the back alleys downtown. Places that at ground level almost never saw the light of day, and where the rats roamed free. Places with their own microclimate. The Blade Runner aesthetic, if you will. Even after several decades, I still enjoy looking at this image. It's one of my photographic imprints of NYC, I guess. I wouldn't mind trying to re-shoot this image on my next trip back even though I'm not sure whether these back alleyways are still open to the public. 

Enjoy the upcoming weekend, and I hope your light is cinematic, whatever that means to you.