Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Nifty 50


I like me some fast glass, just as much as the next photographer out there. No doubt about it. But I also really appreciate a compact and lightweight standard lens that just gets out of the way and gets the job done when the sun is shining, you know? Over the years, these super small, super useful, super plastic-y and super cheap 50mm f/1.8 lenses have come to be known as 'nifty fifties'. I recently picked up a copy of the nifty fifty for my digital full frame camera and I'm delighted to report that my 'serious' camera now fits comfortably in my fanny pack.

The nifty fifty also generally has very solid optics, so I knew I'd come home with a state-of-the-art file when I noticed this amazing cloud formation the other day on a walk. The construction project is nearly complete, so the dumpster with the cool graphics will probably get hauled away very soon.