Saturday, July 17, 2021

Watching the detectives


I sure do enjoy me a good detective show. Frankly, I tend to like 'em all, but if pressed, I'd say that I often like the ones from across the pond just a little more. The quality of the photography and acting is usually better. I like to experience good cinematography and watch good actors work, its as simple as that. The plot doesn't matter that much to me, so it's not a problem that the story arcs are all so similar. I also like to make photographs of the screen during these shows, dragging the shutter, doing multiple exposures, that kind of thing. Then I like to play with the files in photoshop, adding lens flares, blur, and playing with the color grade. Every once in a while, something cool happens. Just personal stuff, really. That said, there is a long history of photographers engaging with the television. The work of Lee Friedlander, Ernst Haas, and Harry Gruyaert comes to mind.