Wednesday, July 7, 2021

The push and pull of sculpture and photography


This garden lantern caught my eye at a recent estate sale. I have to admit that I find these ornamental pieces captivating and wouldn't mind having one in my yard. It's already older than I am with an awesome patina of mold, and lichen. I've been reading about sculptors, like Brancusi, who use photography as part of their practice. I totally get it, and am looking forward to a visit to Glenstone in the not too distant future. At any rate, two things prevented me from pulling the trigger on this lovely lantern. For one, the price was a little too high, and for another, it was too damn heavy. So, instead of owning it outright, I decided to photograph it. Although at this stage, it is a sketchbook kind of image, I'm still quite pleased with the composition.