Wednesday, July 28, 2021

How’d THAT happen? 😮


At a certain point in your photographic journey, you expect to see 12 decent images when you pull a roll of 120 out of the developing tank. Plus, you should be able to recall more or less what you did for each frame, especially if you develop the roll immediately after exposing it. So, I was pretty surprised when I saw this image on a roll of Tri-X. First, I don’t remember composing the image or pressing the shutter button. Then, it is apparent that nothing, and I mean nothing, is in sharp focus despite there also being almost no motion blur. Which means I misfocused, plain and simple. There are words for unpleasant bokeh like nervous or jittery. Also, pentagonal. So the image misses on all counts. Yet, in spite of, or maybe because of these qualities, I am a little bit fond of the final result. It’s a minor keeper, to coin a phrase.

Rolleiflex SL66, 80mm lens, Tri-X, Decaffenol.