Thursday, July 22, 2021

Taking a longer view of things


I’ve often heard it said that if you are not quite satisfied with a composition, just rotate or flip it, and you just might find that the new version works much better. That was the case for this little study. Some friends of ours gave us a cactus skeleton and I’ve been ‘getting to know it’ photographically. I think the organic shapes of the cactus ‘bones’ paired well with the marks on the pottery in this image, and I was able to get the colors looking the way I wanted, too. That said, the next study is going to be in black and white. Captured with the Pentax KP using the 100mm macro lens. I’m finding that I really like this combination for still life compositions. Not something I was expecting, since the field of view is narrowed to that of a 150mm lens in this combination. But I find I like the extra bit of compression of the telephoto lens brings to the table. I’ve always enjoyed taking a longer view of things (!) but my perception is that these days wider lenses are preferred by the majority of photographers.