Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The lure of the superzoom camera

 


A few years ago, we had a family reunion of sorts in Jackson, Wyoming. One of the cameras I had with me was a Canon Powershot G3X, an all-in-one camera with a 25x zoom lens and a maximum equivalent focal length of 600 mm. Kind of a beast of a camera, really, but I was happy I had it with me that trip. 

One fine May morning, I noticed it had snowed a little bit over night, and I went out to get a few documentary photographs. For those of us who live below the Mason-Dixon Line, May snow is most definitely photo worthy.

Of course, I had to shoot the scene at 600mm too, just because I could.


Even relatively 'benign' atmospheric conditions can have a seriously negative impact on the rendering of a scene at the extremes of focal length, which accounts for the almost painterly quality of the second image. I quite like it, actually.