Monday, July 5, 2021

The importance of craft


I've never been all that keen on estate sales, even though you can pick up some good things sometimes, including photographic gear once in a great while. The fact that I am rummaging through the belongings of a recently deceased person often sets off a somewhat depressing pattern of thought. The realization that one day soon enough it will be my bones that are being picked, that kind of thing. Still, sometimes, like when the house is particularly interesting, I can't help myself. The mossy stonework in the yard of this house was wonderful, and far more interesting than the items up for sale. Walls like this just wouldn't get built anymore, I don't think. Is stonemason a viable job description anymore? I hope the new owner gives the property the TLC it deserves.