Saturday, July 3, 2021

The constant (but lousy) gardener


It is hard to believe I thought about majoring in botany when I first started college. No knack for growing plants. In fact, I have the opposite of a green thumb. But I am also nothing if not patient, and after two seasons, I am pretty stoked to have some healthy echinacea growing in the garden. What I realize, of course, is that my success is due solely to my absence from the garden. Oh well, I'm actually fine with that. It's the flowers I want.

At any rate, I also want to document these little guys, as I am not that familiar with their life cycle. I recently purchased a new digital camera with a plethora of pixels. So, one of the things I've been futzing with is its so-called crop mode. This reads out the middle part of the sensor and turns the field of view of my 85mm lens into that of a 135mm lens, albeit with a significant decrease in resolution. Still, there's enough data for digital sharing, and even printing 8x10's. The camera also has a ton of video features. Wonder if any of those could be leveraged for still photography?