Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Monobath clusterf*


There is something fundamentally interesting about using a monobath film developer, at least there is for me. It has to do with the fact that you are balancing two competing processes, development and fixing, against each other in a single solution. This, of course, means that there will be an optimum set of conditions for the monobath to work properly, a Goldilocks problem, if you will. For this reason, I think most commercial monobaths are formulated with films like Tri-X or HP-5+ in mind. It is also why instant film like Polaroid, is such a triumph! So, when I unthinkingly decided to process a roll of Bergger 400 in a monobath, I was setting myself up for weirdness. Grainy, low contrast weirdness as it turned out. I've never seen such odd looking negatives. But, in the end, one of the images from that set kind of grew on me. Not enough to repeat the experiment, mind you, but I do like this image of my yellow orchid. Thankfully, this plant produces beautiful blooms a couple times a year.