Thursday, July 29, 2021

Step right up


When my son was very young, five or six years old, we’d sometimes go to one of those stores where everything costs one dollar. It was just for fun, usually on the way home from some other adventure. We’d pick up a couple of goofy toys or a can of Vienna sausages (really). Did you know that Vienna rhymes with hyena? Anyway, the other day I went into one of those chain hobby stores for the first time. I needed to pick up a few art supplies and didn’t want to deal with the long drive to one of the fancy places. I saw a bag of sponges for about a dollar, so I said, ‘what the heck’, and tossed them into my basket along with the oil paints. One of the little sponges is pretty cute, as it turns out. It is always interesting to observe how the camera records what you point it at. It is something that I never get tired of. But the best part of the entire experience was triggering that memory from so long ago.