Thursday, July 1, 2021

The power of sequence; the power of focus


I was in a hurry taking a photograph of this old mill. I was parked on a busy street in a rough part of a town I don't know very well. So I didn't want to faff about composing this image. For the frame on the left, I placed the focus on the barbed wire and let the background be controlled by the DOF at f/8. For the frame on the right, I focused on the building. When considered as single images, I tend to prefer the one on the left. But, in revisiting the images after the passage of a few months, I kind of like the interplay of the two versions when presented as a diptych. The change in focus can suggest a narrative, but in a very subtle way. Subtle = good, right? Shot on the Leica R9 using the 50mm f/1.4 lens. There was a time when I preferred the f/2 version of the lens, but now I'm digging the 'Lux. Delta 400 film with sloppy development :(.