Monday, July 19, 2021

Old time photography with a Beau Brownie, super expired Verichrome Pan, and stand development


A couple of years ago I bought a Beau Brownie camera from the early 1930s. Mainly I wanted it for it's Art Deco good looks, but the camera arrived in such nice condition that I decided it would be silly not to shoot a roll of film through it. To my surprise, 120 film wouldn't fit. Turns out, I had purchased the version that shoots 116 film. So I snagged the oldest and most expired roll of Verichrome Pan I could find on eBay. The expiry date on my roll was 1968, and I paid more for it than a roll of new 120, which was a bit irksome. It was one of those rolls you start, forget to finish, and finally rediscover a couple of years later still in the camera. Since the film was so old and there is no way to overexpose with the camera, I decided to do a semi-stand development in HC-110 for an hour. All eight frames were decently exposed but the fog killed any dynamic range the film may have had. The film was digitized using a mirrorless camera and the sepia toning was done in Ps. Most of the images were portraits of family members who prefer not to have their faces plastered all over the internet, but there were some shots from around the neighborhood as well. 

Every once in a while, I really enjoy working with old photographic materials. Folks had really limited options back in the day. I wonder if they complained about things as much as we do? Probably, just not about photographic gear, is all. As photographers, there have never been more options than there are today.