Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Riding the trailing edge of digital technology... and loving it.

 

The Pentax KP digital camera is at the end of its run, and now costs about half of its original list price, which is why I now own one. With most digital cameras produced since about 2015 being pretty solid performers, I've grown fond of riding the trailing edge of the adoption curve, as there is virtually no risk. But then again, my favorite camera, the Rolleiflex SL66, is over 50 years old, and I still enjoy shooting it as often as possible. The KP has a few interesting tricks up its sleeve, some that I was aware of, such as pixel shift, and a couple of others discovered on my own. For example, while many digital cameras have a multiple exposure feature, what is interesting about its implementation on the KP is that you can combine up to 2000 images in one exposure. That is about a factor of 100 greater than any of my other cameras, so, naturally I wanted to see what I could come up with. The image above is a combination of 112 exposures in camera. I pointed at a grouping of trees and tried not to move too much. It is an interesting, painterly result that I couldn't have achieved with any of my other equipment, so I am intrigued to push further.