Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Ready for Spring (edited)


After writing this post, my wife let me know last night that the original color image (below) was kind of meh, and requested something a little more 'artistic'. So, I've added an image captured on Kodak XX film using the Nikon FM2 and the 105 mm f/2.5 lens. This is a close up of tulip magnolia blooms, so it fits. I dig it and hope you do as well.

The original post follows:

Damn it, why do I bother reading the NYT first thing in the morning? Now I'm feeling angst about being at the very end of the line for a COVID vaccine. It isn't enough to make me want to be over 65, but I am not really looking forward to the chaos when they open things up to all adults. In the meantime, I am doing my best to appreciate the signs of Spring arriving. We went for an early walk this morning and came across a lovely tulip magnolia with a river birch in the background. I shot this image on an old Fujifilm X-E2 with a 35 mm f/2 lens attached. I'm rather fond of a number Fujifilm lenses, starting with the one on the GA645Zi film camera I own. But, I'm not so much in love with using their digital cameras for some reason, even though the images are definitely super sweet. So, the X-E2 is a cheap and cheerful way to be able to use the wonderful 35 mm lens! One other nice feature that can be found on many Fuji cameras (though it wasn't needed today) is an on-camera flash (just like the GA645Zi) that is just spot on. I set the flash compensation to -2/3 stop and am totally covered.