Monday, March 1, 2021

896 millimeters


During August, 2017, I was determined to make a set of technically decent photographs of the solar eclipse. Of course, I wanted some images to share with family and for posterity, but as someone who shoots mainly non-technical and abstract images, I also wanted to demonstrate to myself that I could still 'work with a camera'. I remember listening to an interview with a well-known photographic artist who had just had a large exhibition of photograms in which he said that he was really looking forward to his next project that would definitely involve 'working with a camera'. The sequence of images above were shot on a Canon APS camera using a 400 mm lens and a 1.4x teleconverter. The images turned out far better than I had hoped, but when I showed them to a friend of mine who is a physicist, he was totally nonplussed. Regardless, it is amazing that we can do astrophotography in our backyards these days.