Monday, March 8, 2021

Falling short

 

February is the month when the camellias are at their peak around here. The varieties that people plant in their yards must be bred to produce a ton of blooms, because the bushes are heavy with them. And when it rains, as if often does in February, the flowers tend soak up a lot of water and fall to the ground, leaving a ring of intense color around the base of the plant. The image of a ring of colored flowers surrounding a dense green mass of leaves was in the back of my mind on a recent walk around the neighborhood. I suppose that was my pre-visualized concept of the photograph I wanted to make. But, in practice, I fell a bit short of executing this concept due to problems with the background. If I could just make the damn house disappear... Then I noticed how a closer view of the fallen blooms contrasted nicely with some bright green moss on the ground. That was my Plan B. I like the result well enough, but I wonder if I should just create something in software that would line up better with what I was imagining that day before the walk.