Saturday, March 27, 2021

Remains of the day


I had a boss once who told me that he would frequently go on long drives for pure relaxation. If he had a crappy day at work -- and, being the man in charge of a large operation, he had many crappy days -- he would announce that he was going to leave early and take a long drive to chill out. Now, it seems like there are always too many other people on the road to relax very much, if at all. Which makes it easier than ever for me to relinquish control and be the passenger. Car photography is probably one of the major sub-genres of photography, and we've all gotten a few good shots out the window of a moving vehicle. We were driving through Marin County on our way up the coast of California when I made this photograph. I remember wanting to capture a silhouette of a semi trailer in the distance and the disk of the sun burning through the fog. I used my trusty Canon AE-1 for this one.