Sunday, March 21, 2021

Fun with the PEN F film camera in Birmingham, Ala.


A few years ago we were seriously considering moving to Birmingham, Ala. Ultimately, things didn't work out, but on the positive side, we got to know the city pretty well over the course of numerous visits. Honestly, it is a bit of a hidden gem as far as mid-sized cities are concerned. In particular, I enjoyed walking around Railroad Park, which has undergone a remarkable transformation in recent years. On the day this pair of photographs were made, I was carrying the Olympus PEN F half-frame film camera with the 38mm f/1.8 lens. I was shooting on Fujifilm Acros 100 and exposing by the seat of my pants. With its superfine grain structure and exposure latitude, Acros is a good film to pair with the meter-less PEN F. I'm happy to say that the city was visually interesting and I had no trouble clicking off all 72 exposures on a single visit.