Saturday, March 6, 2021

Dreamscapes


This obviously is just anecdotal, but I've noticed a loose correlation between periods when my photography is progressing well, or at least I am not dissatisfied with things, and my tendency to remember my dreams. The dreams I remember tend to be monochromatic and very low fidelity. I also tend not to remember the narrative or logic of the dream. I usually wake up with one blurry, grainy, monochromatic image in my head, like the one above. While it isn't a photograph of a dream, it is a photograph that looks like the kind of thing I remember from a dream, a dream fragment or dreamscape. I was using a Leica reflex camera and a 135 mm lens. The film was Lomo Berlin 400 and I pushed it one stop. By the way, I lived in Berlin when I was younger, and that nostalgia is the main reason I bought 10 rolls of this stuff. My personal suspicion is that it is an expired movie stock, but that is because of the relatively high levels of fog you see when you develop it. It would have to say that it is a nice film for dreamscape work. Which reminds me, one time when I was living in Berlin, my brother came to visit. He shot some 8 mm or 16 mm movies and then blew up individual frames to about 11x14 inches. The images looked similar to today's image. Perhaps he was channeling Guy Debord and was drifting his way through a new city.