Thursday, February 18, 2021

The photographer's frame

Although this scene may not show any buildings or people, I was standing in the middle of town when I shot it, not far from a small municipal airport. I made a decision to point my camera away from the suburban blight. Many years ago, when he was young, I used to take my son to a spot near this place to watch airplanes take off and land. What I like about the photograph is how the long line of the fence and the curved road converge to the same point near the far left edge of the frame. Who knows what is around the bend or over the crest of the hill? And then, there is the fire hydrant in the middle of an open field. The grain of the Kodak P3200 film adds a certain atmosphere to the image, or perhaps I'm reading too much into things with a statement like that. Shot on the Leica R9 with a 50 mm lens.