Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Highly recommended: Fuji Instax SP-3 printer

 


I really don't understand how prices for consumer products are determined, and probably never will. And, frankly, I have enough other things to worry about. I like using my instant cameras, especially the SX-70, don't get me wrong. But the prospect of creating Polaroid like output for images created with any camera is pretty enticing. I remember that when the Fujifilm Instax SP-3 printer first came out, it cost more than $150. That exceeded my threshold for an impulse purchase, so I never picked one up. Well, as of this writing, you can find them for well under $100, so I grabbed one over the weekend. What great fun it is to get a high quality instant print from any photo on your device. The shot of the moon was taken hand held using a MFT camera fitted with an old Nikon 500 mm mirror lens, while the image on the right was taken with a full frame mirrorless camera. I've also printed out scans of my 35 mm and medium format film images. The final print size is just under 2.5 inches (6.2 cm), and is slightly larger than a typical square medium format negative. It would be interesting doing a series of small images this way for a show.