Sunday, February 7, 2021

Forget lemonade, I just want lemons

I thought the Meyer lemon tree we bought would do really well and be a low maintenance and productive fruit tree. You see, I really prefer cooking with Meyer lemons. They are a little sweeter than regular lemons, and juicier, too. When we brought it home, there were six rather large green lemons hanging from the tiny branches, all very encouraging. In the two years since then, there has been no new fruit. And, in the fall, all the leaves started dropping and we thought the tree was a goner. But we moved it to a sunnier spot and watered the hell out of it, and now there are quite a few new leaves and even a few flower buds. One of the larger leaves did drop off the other day, but overall I'm more optimistic than I was a few months ago.