Saturday, February 27, 2021

The last abstract expressionist

 


Recently, we watched the movie, "The Last Vermeer", which may or may not be a great film, but which certainly was an excellent entertainment. A few years back, we renovated our house and it was interesting to discover marks left behind by the original carpet layers. I enjoyed photographing the patterns revealed when I removed the nasty old carpet; they reminded me of abstract art. Many years ago, I was assigned to an office with an ancient and dusty chalkboard on the wall. I couldn't wait to cover it with a whiteboard, but I left a message for posterity before screwing the whiteboard down. Nothing vile, by the way, but hopefully funny. My office has been reassigned a few times since, and I sometimes wonder if my message has ever been discovered, and if so, what the person thought. If they got the joke.