Sunday, February 21, 2021

Diversity of perception

 


There is a narrative that pairs with this image that goes something like this. I loaded a roll of film into my Rolleiflex SL66 and exposed 12 black and white images of the landscape. I developed the roll of film and then digitized the negatives using a flatbed scanner. Next, I imported my three favorite images from the set into Adobe Photoshop, where I inverted them into positives and composited them together in a manner that was visually pleasing to me and also reflected my experience. I exported the resulting image file and analyzed it in multiple ways using scientific image analysis software in order to identify any interesting trends. Finally, I tried to find a visually engaging way to present the analyzed data that both highlighted my findings and honored its inherent information content. Such image/graphs may endure as works of art, or they may end up being ephemeral explorations. There's plenty of advice about following your heart, but I think you should also follow your intellect. There are diverse paths to knowledge.