Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Happy accidents / thoughtful play


Confession: as happens from time to time, I've fallen a bit behind on my film developing duties, and have been doing my best to get caught up. As a result, I've generated quite a pile of disorganized and unscanned negatives. As I was getting things sorted out on the light table just now, two strips of negatives happened to overlap each other in just the right way, and an accidental double exposure caught my attention. So I scanned in the negative sandwich, along with a few other images that matched up in interesting ways. What is unexpected is how the tonality of the scanned files is a bit different than with an in-camera double exposure. I enjoy the habit of going into the studio every day and just working, even if I don't know where I am going at first. Thoughtful play can lead to discovery and growth.