Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Turning the Rolleiflex SL66 into a Holga


I shot a roll of Ilford HP5+ through the Rolleiflex SL66 yesterday afternoon. I had the 80mm f/2.8 lens mounted and was working without a tripod. With my current film back and holder set up, I can usually knock out 13 exposures on a roll of 120 film. I wanted to get that last exposure made so I could develop the roll. Just for fun, I set the upward tilt on the Rollei to its maximum value and composed this shot of our bottle tree with a pine tree in the background. Naturally, I was at f/2.8, too. With a late afternoon shadow falling on the right hand side of the frame, I knew I had the look I was after. I had effectively turned my state-of-the-art Rolleiflex into a Holga! Most of the time, I am trying to find ways to increase the depth of field, especially on medium format, but it is also fun to see what happens when you push the limits of the gear or medium.