Friday, May 7, 2021

An old memory bubbles up


Every so often, I revisit my old photos to cull the herd as well as to look for hidden gems (to mix metaphors). I marvel at the fact that there are over two decades of digital images to go through. By now, of course, most of the rubbish files already have been discarded. Every once in a while, though, I find something I really like that I overlooked at the time it was captured, like this image, which I made in Rome in 2007. It is interesting that modern image processing software can often really improve some of your older files, making them much more presentable. I took this image with my first DSLR, a Nikon D50. Funny, but I don't remember any of the details behind this image. What I do recall is that my supervisor at the time was a real asshole about me taking a week off work to go to Italy with my wife, who had a great opportunity over there. When I ignored his advice and went anyway, he gave me a crappy annual review. I'm happy to report that his silly efforts were in vain. I had a great time, no regrets, and future decent supervisors gave me nice raises that more than made up for the one year shortfall!

Enjoy your weekend, and I hope you have an awesome supervisor.