Monday, May 10, 2021

Illuminate or obfuscate?


I am not a classical 'macro guy', and have no burning desire to make technical images of flora, fauna, or the material world (although I have done). I think that observing our surroundings at different scales can be rewarding as well as fascinating, and, if I'm honest, I really would like to develop a body of work based on close-up images. I just haven't figured out an artful way of doing so yet. I snagged this magnolia leaf on a recent walk and made several photographs of it before adding it to my constantly growing pile of dead things. I recently purchased a lens with 2x macro magnification and enjoyed using it to find local compositions within the greater landscape of the leaf. To me this looked like an aerial image of suburbia. 

Pre- or post-apocalypse, that's the viewer's choice.