Monday, May 17, 2021

Too weird for my mother in law


A few years ago, I decided to make a series of notecards based on botanical subjects. Straight documentary images of beautiful flowers and such. Dead, dying, or wilted things were not part of the plan. For one thing, I wanted to brush up on my technique. It is not as easy as one might think to shoot flowers, but I eventually got there. I used a range of lighting strategies, HDR approaches, and focus stacking methods to get some damn fine images from both an artistic and technical point of view. Thing is, there isn't a huge market for notecards these days. That said, my mother in law writes a lot of notes, so I decided that giving her several boxes of cards would be a good thing. Which it most certainly was. And, of course, I eventually broke down and made images of the dead and dying, too.