Thursday, January 27, 2022

Zine Machine


What is your threshold for an impulse purchase? For me it appears to be around $250, which is roughly the same order of magnitude as my weekly run to Publix for our basic kitchen provisions. So, when I saw a Canon 5D on sale for that price, I decided to go for it. I'm a sucker for old tech, it would seem. Over the years, I've sold off most of my EF lenses, but I do still have a couple of special oldies around that I can't bear to part with. Like the 135mm f/2 and the 180mm f/3.5 Macro. For images that are going to end up printed out at book size or smaller, the camera is still, after 17 years, mostly sufficient. It has fewer bells and whistles than most modern cell phone cameras. As such, it is about as pure a photographic experience as you are likely to see in a digital camera. A lean, mean, zine machine!

Tasting notes: Canon 5D, 135mm f/2 L.