Monday, January 24, 2022

Beckett and Poons on Failure


As photographers, we are often advised by our teachers to 'work the scene'. Good advice. I was able to get a photograph of this scene that I liked a little bit better by doing just that. Although, I still like having this more literal shot in my archive as a reminder of the experience. Anyway, most of us have heard of the idea of failing up, or failing better, but many probably don't realize it comes from Samuel Beckett. And I recently stumbled upon some words of wisdom from painter Larry Poons.

'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better'.
-Samuel Beckett

'A failed painting is better than one that's just plain bad. The failed painting is one that could have been great'.
-Larry Poons

Tasting notes: Leica R9, 50mm f/1.4, Santa Rae 1000 film.