Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Ikigai

 


Hey quitters, The New York Times wants to hear from you! Are you one of the millions of individuals who stepped away from their jobs over the course of the pandemic? If so, why not meander over to their website and tell your story. I'm looking forward to reading these at some point in the future. To confirm my own biases, if you know what I mean. For you see, I'm someone who recently pivoted, making my move before we really understood how disruptive things were going to get. For once in my life, I found myself on the leading edge of a national trend (discovered retrospectively, of course)! Recently, I've started to dig into the Japanese concept of ikigai, which, according to the OED, is "a motivating force; something or someone that gives a person a sense of purpose or a reason for living". It's more about following a path than it is about quitting, per se. 

Check it out, and I hope you can find a path forward on your art journey.

Tasting notes: Sony digital camera. Can you see the forest for the trees? :)