Monday, October 11, 2021

High noon in the Deep South


I made this photographic reference to William Christenberry using the venerable Canon Powershot G2 back when it was still a new camera. I sure used the hell out of that little machine and I'm really glad I did. With the passage of time and memories fading, I regret not taking better notes about the trip. You do see these little structures dotting the landscape over much of the Deep South, so it could have been in Georgia, Alabama, or Mississipi. What caught my eye in this scene was how the old brick structure covered in rust and vines more or less matched the color scheme of the S&H Green Stamps sign. These days, I think that store loyalty programs are based on swipe cards or those dumb plastic fobs that clog up your key ring, but back in the day you had to go to the trouble of licking a bunch of little stamps and then pasting them into a booklet before you could redeem them for some crappy trinket.