Sunday, October 17, 2021

An old manual camera, Sunny 16, and stand development


Yesterday I shot a roll of Fomapan 100 through my newly acquired Nikkormat FS. You see, I'm going through a bit of Nikkormat phase, and I especially like the bare bones FS that comes without a meter. I had an old 55mm f/3.5 macro lens attached. I was using Sunny 16 and had an exposure index of 400 in the back of my mind. My plan was to go with stand development, using a combination of Rodinal and HC110, and I was expecting a boost in effective film speed. I've never tried combining two developers like that before, and dad jokes aside, the results were rather mixed. The negatives were too dense for my liking, and the contrast too high, but I think I can dial things in pretty easily. I want to settle in with a single film/developer combination for a while. So, I'm going to have to do a more serious experiment with a camera with a reliable meter. To be continued...