Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Blissfully unaware


I still remember taking this photograph using my first digital SLR camera way back in the early 2000s. I was pretty lucky to even have the camera in my possession, as I had stupidly purchased it from a sketchy place in Brooklyn in order to save a lousy $50. This photo was made when we were exploring an old second hand shop out in the country not too far from Columbus, GA. At the time, I was blissfully unaware of many of the technical aspects of digital imaging that I would soon learn about in great detail from the experts on forums and such. One of the things I 'learned' was that blown highlights are bad news, evidence of being a schlub, and so I wasted an hour of my life in a vain struggle to bring back some detail in the mirror. Of all the crappy advice I've been given, most of it revolves around turning photography into a sport. What a distraction! The best images are the ones that are most deeply felt.