Monday, September 13, 2021

The secret reasons we trip the shutter


Although he is one of my favorite visual artists, I did not have the work of Lewis Baltz in mind when I made this photograph. It was instead all about a childhood memory of me throwing fastballs against a similar shed. Even then, I  knew in my heart of hearts that with my total lack of control, I had no chance whatsoever of becoming a pitcher. Instead, I took my solace in the sound of the baseball smacking into the door. And the lovely pockmarks left behind after each impact. It was fun to find evidence of a kindred spirit!

On this day, I was shooting with the first version of the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lens on a digital camera. This old lens is simply marvelous -- on film or on digital. Possibly the best hundred dollars I ever spent.