Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Marking time


In May I started letting myself believe that we were emerging from a little over a year of travel restrictions, health precautions, and the like. That things soon would be getting back to normal, or at least that we were headed for a new state of 'normal' that was a little looser. It is nice, perhaps even necessary, to be able to mark the different chapters of your life precisely in time. Ambiguity of time tends to add a certain level of anxiety to the mix. 

For about 20 years, I regularly attended a conference in Los Angeles. On every visit, I would make a point of going to the Getty Center to view the art and make photographs. It was something I looked forward to, a mini-ritual of sorts. I no longer attend this conference and that is fine, but I'm kind of looking forward to discovering the next little photographic ritual. Maybe next year...