Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Did I give up on this camera too soon?


Even though it was five or six years ago now, the announcement and ad campaign surrounding the release of the Olympus Pen F digital camera is still pretty fresh in my mind! Never in my life have I lusted after an unseen and untouched piece of photographic gear as much as I did for this little chunk of metal, glass, and plastic. And, once I actually had the camera in hand, I was very much delighted with it as a piece of industrial design. Marvelous! But, in actual use, not so much. I never really bonded with it as a picture making tool, whatever that really means. But here's the thing: going back through the files it produced, I find that I really like the images. The high pixel density on the smallish sensor gives a definite 'look' to the files that is very appealing. At this stage, the point is moot (for me), but I do find myself wondering if I gave up on this camera too soon. Very much a case of letting thoughts of gear get in the way of just making art. Or?