Tuesday, September 14, 2021

But is it Insta-worthy?


I’ve always had a certain (I think) healthy skepticism about the value of social media. It is enjoyable to put work out there, but pitfalls abound. Early on, I always worried about posting my best work online because someone might steal it. So I tended to post stuff I was less attached to. I suspect a lot of folks are the same. And I never really appreciated the emphasis on likes and follows. I’ve calmed down about most of this stuff in the intervening years. Anyway, I took this photograph about a decade ago and thought it was kind of cool in an urban exploration sort of way. Not necessarily a masterpiece, but certainly Flickr-worthy. I have a folder with all my old Flickr images in it. Looking at them again reminded me that in the early days, Flickr was a hell of a lot of fun, and I learned so much about working up images. Recently, the Flickr fun factor has dropped off for me. Indeed, a few months ago I shut down my stream. Turns out, I can tolerate one of these platforms at a time, and at least for the time being, Instagram seems to be the main game in town. Of course, that will change at some point, too.