Thursday, September 16, 2021

Bokeh before bokeh



I was doing some online research on a couple of photographers and came across the work of Chris McCaw. Hadn’t looked at this work in a while. Later, I saw some party lights hanging from trees and decided to play around with bokeh. The out of focus lights were following a curved trajectory that reminded me of the moon a little. People have become obsessed with bokeh in recent years, but it’s worth remembering that photographers have played with it for ages. I remember as a kid in the pre-internet days reading an article in a photography magazine that instructed you to spritz a little water on a UV filter and then place the filter in the freezer for half an hour before putting it back onto your lens and shooting Christmas lights. I remember being amazed at the results a couple weeks later when I got my film back from the drugstore.