Thursday, September 9, 2021

Evening Picnic - Daily Practice


Not long after I crossed into adulthood (at least as measured by age), I became interested in meditation. Part of my journey involved collecting many, many books, but not actually reading that many of them. One of the books was 'One Continuous Mistake' by Gail Sher. I found it again recently after many years tucked away in a drawer. I'm not a zen buddhist, but the book still holds up pretty well, I think. Although it is targeted at writers, it makes sense for photographers or any creative person. She expresses buddhism's four noble truths for writers, and here they are adapted to photographers:

    Photographers photograph
    Photography is a process
    You don't know what your photography will be until the end of the process
    If photography is your practice, the only way to fail is not to photograph


It is a useful way to frame things. There's more to it, of course -- a good reason to pick up the book.