Saturday, September 4, 2021

Romancing the phone


I've got to hand it to the famous fruit company. Their phone, watch and tablet all work in concert to have my back. It's weirdly comforting, sometimes. Other times, it's weirdly creepy. My tablet fishes out old photographs from my stream and features them on my Home Screen, and so, a different image from the past greets me every morning. At first, I thought this was a silly gimmick, but over time I've grown to kind of appreciate it. My technology has a different set of biases about photography than I do, and brings many overlooked images and memories to my attention. Like this image from 2008, the dawn of the phone photography era. We went to our first farm-to-table event just outside of Atlanta and my EDC camera at the time was the iPhone 3G. The camera had an amazing 2 MP of resolution. While I'm used to feeling nostalgic about old prints, romancing phone photos from the past is going to take a little getting used to.